Skip to content

Business planning permission

You'll need to get business planning permission if you're making changes to your premises. In this article, we'll point you in the right direction for planning support.

You will learn

  • When planning permission may be necessary
  • How Councils can help your business

Many types of building work will require planning permission – such as relocation, new build, conversion or expansion of your business resulting in extension to buildings or site. It can also apply if you are wanting to use your premises for more and different activities.

Some other examples may include the change of use of land or putting up adverts to promote your business. Take a look at our tips on building regulations for more advice.

How Councils can help your business

It is recommended that you contact your Local Council planning service before you submit a planning application to build, extend or convert a property to suit the needs of your business.

Pre-application advice can help identify any problems with your scheme before plans are submitted and may be able to give an indication of the likely outcome of your planning application.

The planning rules do vary from area to area so it is important you contact the council where your premises is located.

What do they offer?

  • Advice on whether a planning application is necessary
  • Checks on the permitted use of a premises
  • Assistance in finding if existing planning permissions have conditions attached to them which may restrict their use
  • Advice when you are considering new build, extensions to existing buildings or changes of use of land or buildings which typically would require planning permission
  • Information to help businesses negotiate the planning process
  • Consultation on planning applications with other statutory or non-statutory bodies
  • Help with planning problems

Where you can go for support

Contact the local council where your business is located:

City of York Council

West Offices building, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

phone: (01904) 551553


Harrogate BC

Harrogate Borough Council, Planning Services, PO Box 787, Harrogate, HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 ask for Planning Enquiries


Hambleton DC

Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL6 2UU

phone: (01609) 779977


Craven DC

Planning Department, Belle Vue Mills, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756) 706470


Richmondshire DC

Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX

phone: (01748) 829100


Ryedale DC

Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

phone: (01653) 600666


Scarborough BC

Customer First Centre, Town Hall, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG

phone: 01723 232323


Selby DC

In Person - Access Selby, 8-10 Market Cross, Selby, YO8 4JS

phone: (01757) 705101


East Riding of Yorkshire

Planing and Development Management, East Riding of Yorkshire Council, County Hall, Beverley, HU17 9BA

phone: (01482) 393792



If you want information on how to appeal against a planning decision go to -

Want finance that doesn't come from a bank?

Take a look at the alternative sources of finance you can apply for here

Written by:

Simon King

Growth Hub Manager

Email Address: