Skip to content

Health and safety business advice

You need to make sure that your business if fully compliant with health and safety regulations to avoid any danger to your staff or customers. This article will show you where you can go for support.

You will learn

  • The importance of health and safety
  • What help is available to support your business

In general, business health and safety laws apply to everyone. As an employer, or a self-employed person, you are responsible for your business health and safety. Health and safety laws are there to protect you, your employees and the public from workplace dangers. The legislation may seem daunting, however specialist guidance and advice is freely available and often it is only simple steps that are necessary to ensure compliance. The approach you take should be proportionate to the size of your business and the nature of your business activity. For most small, low-risk businesses the steps you need to take are straightforward.

Compliance with business health and safety legislation is not only necessary, it will protect your business and help keep costs down to enhance the productivity and reputation of your business.

What help is out there?

Good practice in health and safety is good for your business – and it’s the law. Councils can give advice on what you need to know about health and safety, the development of good practice and assist you in complying with relevant legal requirements. There are a number of health and safety requirements which need to be considered when running a business.

Councils can help you identify which legal requirements are relevant to your business and where to get appropriate information. They cover premises such as shops, offices, hairdressers, cinemas, hotels, leisure activities, warehouses, tyre and exhaust centres, and consumer services, e.g. launderettes, churches, banks, beauty parlours, residential care homes.

What do they offer?

  • General help and advice on health and safety and training
  • Discussion on your health and safety concerns
  • Signposting to relevant guidance advice
  • What documentation and records you may need to keep
  • Site visits if necessary (there may be a charge for these)

Contact the appropriate authority where your business is located:

City of York Council

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

phone: (01904) 551525


Hambleton District Council

Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 2UU

phone: 01609 779977


Selby District Council

Food and Safety, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 9FT

phone: (01757) 705101


Harrogate Borough Council

Harrogate Borough Council, PO Box 787, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 ext. 58515


Richmondshire District Council

Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX

phone: (01748) 829100


Ryedale District Council

Ryedale House, Old Malton Road, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

phone: (01653) 600666


Scarborough Borough Council

Food and Occupation Safety Team, Environmental Services, Scarborough

Borough Council, Town Hall, Scarborough, YO11 2HG

phone: (01723) 232323


Craven District Council

Environmental Health, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756) 700600


East Riding of Yorkshire Council

County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA

phone: (01482) 396096


Further Information

The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) -

HSE Guidance Page -

Institution of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH) - 

They offer free advice on occupational health & safety and on health & safety at work.

phone: (0116) 2573100


Your free guide to Health and Wellbeing in the Workplace

Written by:

Simon King

Growth Hub Manager

Email Address: