Skip to content

Nuisance Problems

If you cause or fail to deal with a nuisance problem created by the operation of your business then you could face legal action and a fine. The local authority could also restrict or stop your business activities.

You will learn

  • What a statutory nuisance and common law nuisance is
  • How Council can help your business deal with this

Nuisance is any action or neglect which interferes with peoples use and enjoyment of land or property or could have a negative effect on health. There are 2 types of nuisance, common law and statutory nuisance. Examples of common law nuisance which businesses need to consider may include excessive noise, excessive artificial light, vermin, litter, dust and smoke.

Statutory nuisance is regulated through other council services or agencies e.g. noise from licensed premises.

How Councils can help your business

Your council can give advice on nuisance control matters, there are a number of requirements which need to be considered when running a business. They can help you identify which is relevant to your business and where to get appropriate information. This is particularly suitable if you are starting a business or thinking of moving your business to different premises. They can help you identify and comply with relevant legal requirements and support you in the development of good working practices. They provide advice, information and some authorities where appropriate may carry out advisory visits (there may be a charge for these).

What do they offer?

Environmental Protection officers are available to support your business in complying with common law and statutory nuisance caused by noise, odour, dust, smoke and other nuisance.

They can provide information and guidance on whether any activities which you wish to carry out may cause a statutory nuisance.

They can advise on measures you can take to control these activities

They are statutory consultees for planning and licensing applications

Further information

Contact the appropriate council where your business is located:

City of York Council

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

phone: (01904) 551525: email:

Hambleton District Council

Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 2UU

phone: 01609 779977 email:

Harrogate Borough Council

Harrogate Borough Council, PO Box 787, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 and ask for Environmental Protection


Richmondshire District Council

Environmental Health (Scientific Services), Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4JX

phone: (01748) 829100: email:

Ryedale District Council

Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

phone: (01653) 600666


Selby District Council

Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 9FT

phone: (01757) 705101: email:

Scarborough Borough Council

Environmental Regulation Team, Environmental Services, Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG

phone: (01723) 232323 email:

Craven District Council

Environmental Protection, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756) 706255


East Riding of Yorkshire

Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA

phone:(01482) 396301


Further Information

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs -

Are you compliant with the new pension laws?

Complying with auto enrolment doesn't have to be hard, our free guide tells you exactly what you need to do

Written by:

Simon King

Growth Hub Manager

Email Address: