This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. Find out more about our Cookie Policy.


Food Safety

Food Safety
Simon King
Start-up advice, Business development, Social media
Find out more about Simon King

In this article you’ll learn

  • What you will need to do if you want to store or sell food and drink
  • The importance of food hygience training
  • How your Council can help you

If you are intending to produce, store or sell food and drink, in almost all cases you will need to register your food business with your council at least 28 days before starting trading. There is no charge for registration.

Food safety is normally regulated by your council, although in some cases it may be by the Food Standards Agency.You will also need to ensure that you and your staff have appropriate food hygiene training before you start running your business.

How Councils can help your business

Councils have a team of experienced food safety officers that give help and advice, in addition to carrying out inspections of your food business to ensure the food you are producing is safe to eat.

Following a food safety inspection they will rate your business in accordance with “The National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme” to show how well you are complying with food safety law. They also investigate complaints about food, food businesses and food poisoning cases notified by local doctors.

What do they offer?

  • Advice and information on food safety law
  • Where appropriate, advisory visits to your business premises (there may be a charge for this)
  • Help in compliance with the law and support in the development of good practice
  • Help in developing a robust food safety management system
  • Advice on food hygiene training requirements

Further information

Contact the appropriate council where your business is located:

City of York Council

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

phone: (01904) 551525 email:

Selby District Council

Food and Safety, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 9FT

phone: (01757) 705101 email:

Harrogate Borough Council

Harrogate Borough Council, PO Box 787, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 ext. 58515 email:

Hambleton District Council

Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 2UU

phone: 01609 779977 email:

Craven District Council

Environmental Health, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756) 700600
email: environmental

Richmondshire District Council

Environmental Health, Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX

phone: (01748) 829100 email:

Ryedale District Council

Ryedale House, Old Malton Road, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

phone: (01653) 600666
email: health and

Scarborough Borough Council

Food and Occupational Safety Team, Environmental Services, Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG

phone: (01723) 232323 email:

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

East Riding of Yorkshire Council County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA

phone: (01482) 396301: email: 

Further Information

Food Standards Agency

Guidance on Food Law Requirements for Restaurants, Cafés and other Catering Businesses and Shops Selling Food

FSA Guidance on Setting up a Restaurant, Cafe or Other Catering Business

Safer Food Better Business

Food Hygiene Rating Scheme


In this article, we've looked at the importance of food safety and how the Council can support you with this.