You will learn
- When you need to comply with building regulations
- How the Council can help you
- Who to contact for further legal advice
If you’re making alterations to your business premises, putting in place an extension, or even building new premises, then you’ll need to comply with building regulations.
Your building work will require approval by an inspector either from your local authority building control department or an external approved inspector. Some changes of use of premises may also mean that the premises may need to comply with building regulations.
How Councils can help your business?
Councils work to ensure that buildings are safe, healthy, accessible and sustainable for current and future generations. If you are contemplating undertaking any building work, the council will help you decide whether the project will require a planning permission and/or a building regulations application, these are two separate applications and must be applied for individually.
What do they offer?
- Full advisory and approval service at design and construction stages on all matters relating to building works, including demolition
- Advice on whether building regulations approval will be required for the works you are planning
- Plan approval - Vetting of drawings to ensure compliance with building regulations including consultation with other interested parties e.g. The Fire Service
- Site inspection - Undertake inspections at key stages in construction to ensure compliance with building regulations
Who can you go to for support?
Contact the appropriate council where your business is located:
The following councils are part of the North Yorkshire Building Control Partnership:
Hambleton DC, Richmondshire DC, Ryedale DC, Scarborough BC and Selby DC
Suite 2, Coxwold House, Easingwold Business Park, Easingwold, York, YO61 3FB
phone: (01347) 822703
City of York Council
West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA
phone: (01904) 551354 /551333
Craven District Council
Building Control Team, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North
Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ
Harrogate Borough Council
Harrogate Borough Council, Planning Services, PO Box 787, Harrogate HG1 9RW
phone: (01423) 500600
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Building Control, County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA
phone: 01482 393800
Planning Portal - https://www.gov.uk/topic/planning-development/building-regulations
Building Regulations Approval - https://www.gov.uk/building-regulations-approval
Party Wall Act: Explanatory Booklet - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/party-wall-etc-act-1996-guidance#explanatory-booklet
Local Authority Building Control - http://www.labc.uk.com/