How to use hashtags on Twitter
You will learn
- The Dos and Don'ts of Twitter
- How many hashtags you should use
- How to avoid mistakes
Helen Reynolds has been working on the internet for over 17 years and now helps businesses make their messages blossom online, and in print. Here are her top six tips on how to use hashtags on twitter.
1. Use it as a catch phrase - you don't have much room on twitter, so the fact that hashtags don’t have spaces or punctuation can really keep you on topic.
2. Hashtags are a great way to be in with the in crowd - it helps you join a conversation with people online.
3. Use hashtags to make things obvious- always put your hashtag before your call to action.
4. Don’t go overboard - hashtagging every other word is overkill and disrupts the natural flow of your post.
5. Mind the gap - we use punctuation for a reason. Read through your hashtags before you put them out there. A quick Google of hashtag fails will show you what I mean.
6. You might not even need a hashtag - if you do use them don’t go overboard. Only use 1 or 2.